Friday, December 2, 2011


The Archeological Museum of Etruscan Art housed various styles, periods and mediums.  I particularly enjoyed the Chimera, and the pottery upstairs and on the ground floor.  I have found I am more drawn to art that is inspired by mythology.  The interpretation of the Chimera was very well done.  A three headed beast with the body and head of a lion, a head of goat growing out of the back, and a serpent head for a tail.  This piece had the serpent biting the goat’s horn.  The Chimera was wounded and bleeding, and the creature seemed desperate and defensive. 

In addition to loving the uncovered Egyptian mummies, I really loved the Etruscan pottery.  The shapes of the vases and bowls are probably the most beautiful I have seen.  My favorite attributes were firstly the intricate designs, but also the clover shaped openings to vases, long necks, oval handles, and the smoothness they were able to achieve in their pottery.  I spent an hour or two sketching designs I liked, falling in love with a tiny octopus on a small bowl.  I noticed reoccurring spirals, flowers, leaves, stripes, and various other patterns, all beautifully executed as if by machine.  I believe I found great inspiration for some artwork to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment