Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The most meaningful part of this entire trip has been working with Damiana Pinti, an Italian opera singer who is friends with Rossella.  She is absolutely incredible.  I have never had a teacher that is so effective.  She is quite demanding, but never mean and very patient with me.  We have primarily been working on my breathing, and she is teaching me how inefficiently I breathe.  Lessons with Damiana are incredibly mentally and physically exhausting, and I spend large parts of my two hour lessons lying on the floor in a yoga pose, standing against the wall with one leg in the air, or trying my best to sing in extremely awkward positions.  Her methods are a completely new to me, but I love them.  By the end of my lesson I am completely hoarse, but during my lesson I can always hear a difference in my sound.  


photo courtesy of Ashley Abraham

Damiana constantly tells me how poor her English is, although I think I communicate with her better than any other teacher I have had.  She has taught me so much in such a short amount of time, and I will miss her very much.  She picked out a piece for me by Bellini, from Romeo and Juliet.  She says my voice is perfect for the piece, as my it is very youthful like Juliet.  I am hoping I can sing the piece for my Senior recital.  Damiana has also helped me a great deal with my Italian.  Working with Damiana has made my trip to Italy so worthwhile, and I am so greatful for the experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment